Opportunity closing date: 4th May 2022
Opportunity type: Employment
Starting date: 1st June 2022
About the organization
The Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS) is a Pan-African policy think tank that provides a forum for dialogue, information dissemination and networking aimed at addressing the short, medium and long term development challenges in Africa, Its work is underpinned by rigorous research on the different elements of ‘Africanness’ to shape policy and practice on governance, economic development and the evolution of African institutions.
The Executive Assistant/Personal Assistant will report to the Founder / CEO of MINDS which is based in South Africa. The position covers a variety of duties within the organisation including, Partnerships management, the governance of the organisation, communication, programmatic work, administration and staff liaison.
Job Description – Tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage the CEO’s office email;
- Organise and maintain the calendar activities of the CEO;
- Prepare all travel itineraries and accounts for the CEO;
- Develop and maintain a data base of High level partners and stakeholders;
- Help to disseminate information about the organisation’s knowledge to internal and external audiences which will include tasks such as translation, minute taking, summarising, drafting and editing etc;
- Help the CEO write or commission accounts or brief papers for internal and external audience about MINDS’ work by reading, summarising and drafting responses as directed by CEO;
- Help the CEO with tracking reports from the programme team;
- Develop and maintain an office management system including filing of documents;
- Create, maintain and update a non-media contacts database;
- Assist the CEO with immigration/visa and other administrative work;
- Assist the CEO in addressing all legal compliance requirements for the organisation;
- Organise board meetings, follow up on board decisions and undertake a full range of activities including managing forward plans, scheduling meetings, setting deadlines, preparing accurate agendas, reports, minutes of meetings and action sheets, notifying and monitoring actions arising and decisions from meetings within set time frames;
- Liaison with the programme and Administrative team on reporting requirements and deadlines;
- Liaison with the Board on behalf of the CEO;
- Assist Programme team in programme implementation and reporting;
- Support the development of relationships and strategies with existing and new partners working in areas directly related to MINDS’ objective.
Required competencies (skills, knowledge and behavioral attributes)
- Graduate degree – in social sciences, organisational management or a related discipline;
- Significant and proven organisation skills and experience developed through; minimum five years work experience in similar positions;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English
- Ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and in a self–motivated manner
- Work Experience in NGO organizations, management, law, politics and knowledge of academic, policy and research institutions would be an advantage;
- Analytical skills and understanding of development trends and African affairs would be an advantage.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment;
- Working knowledge of other international languages.
- Eligible to live and work in South Africa
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter with salary expectation to email@example.com stating ‘MINDS Executive Assistant – CEO’ in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MINDS reserves the right not to appoint anyone for this position
For more about the Mandela Institute for Development Studies, refer to www.minds-africa.org