The Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS) is a Pan-African policy think tank committed to addressing the challenges affecting democratic governance, strengthening African institutions, and seeking new and progressive ways to transform economic development in Africa. It emerged out of the observation that development efforts in Africa have failed to meet expectations with respect to social, institutional and economic outcomes in comparison to other regions of the world. MINDS is contributing to shaping the nature of development policy and programmes across the continent for more sustainable development outcomes by providing a forum for dialogue, information dissemination and networking underpinned by rigorous research.
MINDS has a new organisational strategy that it is implementing during the period 2019 – 2024. Building the sustainability and resilience of the organisation and its intervention during this period is central to the strategy. In this regard, MINDS is seeking to diversify its funding streams, develop alternative and innovative models, and deepen its relationship with current and new donors.
Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, the Business Development Manager will lead the development and implementation of a business development and sustainability strategy to support the growth and organisational strategy of MINDS. The postholder is expected to be a very experienced and results-driven person able to generate new business, partnerships and funding opportunities, as well as identify, build and sustain innovative as well as traditional resource streams.
The specific key areas are to:
- Design and implement a results-oriented and coordinated strategy to mobilise significant additional resources from donors, foundations, philanthropists and corporates
- Lead the business development cycles of the strategic objectives of MINDS for funding sources including bilateral, multilateral, development partner, corporate and non-traditional sources in line with the organisation’s resource needs
- Manage advance intelligence gathering, including analysis of business development forecasts, track trends and conduct research and analysis of viable opportunities to inform MINDS’ pursuit to cultivate viable revenue streams
- Coordinate the development of highly competitive resource mobilisation proposals and concept notes, and ensure achievement of positive results
- Develop innovative revenue creation strategies, including non-traditional revenue streams to generate income
- Develop and maintain an effective project tracking system, and ensure all donor funding requirements are met
- Build and maintain a customer relationship management system to support donor and relationship management
- Represent MINDS in key platforms, including prospecting meetings and visits
- Conceptualise and develop performance frameworks for business development and resource mobilization
- Manage bid strategies, from pre-solicitation/pre-proposal, proposal preparation, submissions and follow up to onboarding of new grants or revenue streams
- Develop a portfolio of quality business development assets, including capability statements, organisational and programme decks to support engagements with targeted partners as well as for MINDS communication materials
Required competencies (skills, knowledge and behavioural attributes):
- Master’s degree in International Development, Communications, Marketing, Economics, Business Management, International Relations or any other relevant discipline
- A minimum of 7 years proven experience in generating funds within the non-profit sector, grants management, monitoring, assessments, and reviews in a largely African context
- Demonstrated experience utilising diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position an organisation for new funding and productive institutional relationships
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and managing people and processes to produce complex technical and cost proposals under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality
- Experience using client relationship management technologies, e.g. Salesforce or other CRM software a definite plus
- Strategic leadership, representation, negotiation and decision-making skills with an entrepreneurial approach in developing funding streams, designing funding mechanisms, including social enterprise models
- Analytical thinker with ability to operate in a fast paced and shifting resource environment; with a keen sense of contextual relevance of trends and opportunities;
- Strong networking capacity with foundations, trusts, government and corporate donors
- Self-motivated with a commitment to continuously produce results focused on impact
- Entrepreneurial thinker with highly evolved relationship building skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of/or fluency in French or Portuguese an added advantage
- Eligible to live and work in South Africa
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter with salary expectation to email@example.com stating ‘MINDS Business Development Manager’ in the subject line.
Opportunity closing date: 21 February 2020
Opportunity type: Employment
Starting date: 1 April 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MINDS reserves the right not to appoint anyone for this position
For more about the Mandela Institute for Development Studies, refer to www.minds-africa.org